Early morning preparations for Gallops Day
(Photo : Annet Becker)
EMPERORS PALACE READY TO RUN GALLOPS
Summerhill Stud, South Africa
14 October 2011
What makes Gallops Day unique?
- Each horse is eligible for the world’s richest Ready To Run Sales race, the Emperors Palace Ready to Run Cup, with a 2012 stake of R2million. Almost one in seven sales candidates will make the cut for this race when the field assembles at Turffontein on the eve of next year’s sale. Those are irresistible odds.
- Summerhill will be contributing of the order of R1million to the stake, the biggest breeder sponsorship of horseracing in Africa, and the surest indication of the faith we have in these horses.
- Besides God, we owe our seven National Breeders Championships to our horses.
- The roll of honour speaks of a racehorse of abiding talent, of an indomitable spirit, an animal that knows what he owes. IGUGU, PIERRE JOURDAN, FISANI, HOLLYWOODBOULEVARD, IMBONGI, PARIS PERFECT, HEAR THE DRUMS, PICK SIX, REBEL KING, DESERT LINKS, BLUE VOYAGER, MANNEQUIN, ICY AIR, EMPEROR NAPOLEON, NHLAVINI, AMPHITHEATRE, DISAPPEAR, FORK LIGHTENING, ART OF WAR, CATMANDU, PHUNYUKA, OUTCOME, BIANCONI, BOLD ELLINORE, FANYANA, VANGELIS, MAJESTIC SUN, ALEJATE, DYNAMITE MIKE, BHEKINKOSI, GALANT GAGNANT, UMNGAZI, TALAHATCHIE and SUN CITY.
- Many of the horses that have lined up for the Emperors Palace Ready To Run Cup have become stars on the local and international circuits, and if they weren’t already, their owners are now multimillionaires. No fewer than seventeen Summerhill graduates have earned in excess of R1million in stakes in recent times, six are multimillionaires, and some have either been sold for, or have earned collectively tens of millions. Go to www.summerhill.co.za for the full list.
- The draft this year includes the progeny of several of the top sires on the National log, as well as a unique collection of some of the best stallions and racehorses in the world, DANEHILL DANCER, FORESTRY, EL PRADO, ROCK OF GIBRALTAR, STREET SENSE, DYLAN THOMAS, TALE OF THE CAT, JOHANNESBURG, ROYAL ACADEMY, THUNDER GULCH, KAHAL, MULLINS BAY, RAVISHING, STRONGHOLD and MUHTAFAL. There are obviously a few rare “stallion-making” opportunities among them, while there hasn’t been a more appropriate moment for our overseas investors to dabble in the South African market. The exploits of Igugu and Hollywoodboulevard this season, tell us that what looked expensive last year, now represents a bargain.
- Continuing our “world first” innovation of the past three years, a Post Gallops Panel consisting of leading trainers Mike de Kock, Sean Tarry, Joey Ramsden, Dean Kannemeyer, top “bloodstocker” Jehan Malherbe, former Champion jockey Michael Roberts, race commentator, auctioneer and administrator, Graeme Hawkins, and “Eagle Eye” Craig Peters, as well as world renowned Breeze Up consigner Kip Elser, will provide their ideas on which horses took their eye as future investments, and equally importantly, which horses they feel are the most likely to line up for next year’s race. Views from the audience will be welcome, as these will also be carried on TV.
- Finally, no country has ever known a sale in which the major vendor offers 100+ horses with the right to settle one’s purchases with as many as six instalments, depending on aggregate purchases. There is a horse for everyone in the “Ready To Run” sale, and this way we can ensure that everybody gets a roll of the dice. It’s not often you can buy from the Champion stud in any country on these terms, out of a sale which has become the undisputed premier source of Feature race performers in the land.
- Access to this year’s draft on the Summerhill website and the opportunity to log their daily progress through interviews with their riders, has proven a boon to would-be buyers. You wouldn’t want to be conceding an advantage to anyone in this direction, so why not log-on to www.summerhill.co.za to view the latest updates, photos, video footage and the Ready To Run Diary, as well as what the panel has to say after the Gallops.