Emperors Palace Ready To Run Gallops at Summerhill Stud
(Photo : Annet Becker)
…AT THE HOME OF
SOUTH AFRICA’S CHAMPION BREEDERS.
What makes tomorrow unique?
• Each horse is eligible for the world’s richest Ready to Run Sales race, the Emperors Palace Ready to Run Cup, with an anticipated 2011 stake of R2million. Almost one in seven sales candidates will make the cut for this race (16 of approximately 110 horses) when the field assembles at Turffontein on the eve of next year’s sale. Those are irresistible odds.
• Summerhill will be contributing of the order of R1million to the stake, the biggest breeder sponsorship of horseracing in Africa, and the surest indication of the faith we have in these horses.
• Besides God, we owe our six National Breeders Championships to our horses. The roll of honour speaks of a racehorse of abiding talent, of an indomitable spirit, an animal that knows what he owes. PIERRE JOURDAN, FISANI, IGUGU, MANNEQUIN, IMBONGI, DESERT LINKS, PARIS PERFECT, HEAR THE DRUMS, ICY AIR, EMPEROR NAPOLEON, NHLAVINI, AMPHITHEATRE, DISAPPEAR, FORK LIGHTENING, ART OF WAR, CATMANDU, PHUNYUKA, OUTCOME, BIANCONI, BOLD ELLINORE, FANYANA, VANGELIS, MAJESTIC SUN, ALEJATE, DYNAMITE MIKE, BHEKINKOSI, GALANT GAGNANT, UMNGAZI, TALAHATCHIE and SUN CITY.
• Several of the horses that have lined up for the Emperors Palace Ready To Run Cup have become stars on the international circuit, and if they weren’t already, their owners are now multimillionaires.
• Besides them, six others have already become Group One winners, Classic heroes or Champions; imagine their value today.
• The draft this year includes the progeny of four of the top six sires on the National log, as well as a unique collection of some of the best stallions in the world, DANSILI, HUSSONET, ROCK OF GIBRALTAR, ROYAL ACADEMY and ELUSIVE QUALITY. There are obviously a few rare “stallion-making” opportunities among them, while there hasn’t been a more appropriate moment for our overseas investors to dabble in the South African market. The exploits of Igugu last week, tell us that what looked expensive last year, now represents a bargain.
• Continuing our “world first” innovation of the past three years, a Post Gallops Panel consisting of leading trainers Mike de Kock, Sean Tarry, Joey Ramsden, Dean Kannemeyer, top “bloodstocker” Jehan Malherbe, former Champion jockey Michael Roberts, race commentator, auctioneer and administrator, Graeme Hawkins, Bloodstock SA’s marketing chief, Eamonn Cullen, and “Eagle Eye” Craig Peters, will provide their ideas on which horses took their eye as future investments, and equally importantly, which horses they feel are the most likely to line up for next year’s race. Views from the audience will be welcome, as these will also be carried on TV.
• Finally, this country has never known a sale in which the major vendor offers 100+ horses with the right to settle one’s purchases with as many as six cheques, depending on aggregate purchases. There is a horse for everyone in the “Ready to Run” sale, and this way we can ensure that everybody gets a roll of the dice. It’s not often you can buy from the Champion stud in any country on these terms, out of a sale which has become the undisputed premier source of Feature race performers in the land.
• Access to this year’s draft on the Summerhill website and the opportunity to log their daily progress through interviews with their riders, has proven a boon to would-be buyers. You wouldn’t want to be conceding an advantage to anyone in this direction, so why not log-on to www.summerhill.co.za to view the latest updates, photos, video footage and the Ready to Race Diary, as well as what the panel has to say after the Gallops.