What makes this day unique?
· Each horse is eligible for the world’s richest Ready to Run Sales race, the guaranteed R800,000 Emperor’s Palace Ready to Run Sweepstakes (with an anticipated sweepstake in excess of R1 million). Almost one in six sales candidates will make the cut for this race (16 of approximately 110 horses) when the field assembles at Turffontein on the eve of next year’s sale. Those are irresistible odds. Another sixteen will be eligible for the consolation race, run on the same day.
Summerhill will be contributing of the order of R500,000 to the stake, the biggest breeder sponsorship of horseracing in Africa, and the surest indication of the faith we have in these horses.
· In the past 3 seasons alone, six Grade One winners, ten individual national or regional Champions and any number of Stakes winners have graduated from the Summerhill Ready to Race programme, including Bold Ellinore, Dynamite Mike, Emperor Napoleon, Desert Links, Fanyana, Majestic Sun, Icy Air, His Lordship, Paris to Peking, Catmandu, Bhekinkosi, Regal Runner, Mzwilili Fork Lightening, Amphitheatre, and Real Red. These include horses sold off the farm.
· In addition to a select group of progeny from leading sires Kahal, Muhtafal, National Emblem, Jallad and the last crop of Rambo Dancer, we will be unveiling the first progeny of the world-class racehorses Malhub and Labeeb, a leading stallion in the USA in his own right. We are also offering some serious types by the internationally celebrated shuttle stallions Danehill Dancer, Street Cry, Hussonet, Hawk Wing, Dubai Destination, Fantastic Light and Champion Australian Freshman sire, Show A Heart.
· Our 2007 draft includes some extremely well related youngsters, including siblings to Icy Air, Pick Six, Rebel King, Regal Runner, Desert Links, Hear the Drums, Veiled Essence, Silver Arrow, Dynamite Mike, Majestic Sun, River Plate, Coastal Waltz, Fanyana, Paris to Peking, Bhekinkosi, Mzwilili, Nondweni, as well as Singapore’s 2007 Horse of the Year, Why Be.
· Continuing last year’s “world first” innovation, a Post Gallops Panel consisting of leading trainers Mike de Kock, Sean Tarry and Dean Kannemeyer, former Champion jockey Michael Roberts, race commentator and auctioneer Graeme Hawkins, Irish Thoroughbred Marketing’s Eamonn Cullen, and the famously charismatic Michael Azzie, will provide their views on which horses took their eye as future investments, and equally importantly, which horses they feel are the most likely to line up for next year’s race. Views from the audience will be welcome.
· Access to this year’s draft on the Summerhill website and the opportunity to log their daily progress has proven a boon to would-be buyers. You wouldn’t want to be conceding an advantage to anyone in this direction, so why not log-on to www.summerhill.co.za to view the latest updates, photos, video footage and the Ready to Race Diary, as well as what the panel has to say after the Gallops.