The weekly happenings, photos and the unveiling of the 2006 ‘Platinum Dozen’.
The horses worked in stretchers this week to assist in building back and neck muscles. Trotting continued three times weekly and slow canters over 1200m occurred on Wednesday and Friday. One of the paddocks - Griffins - has been dedicated to supplying green feed in the stables. Each afternoon one of the Agricultural team is in charge of the cutting and then entire stable team then head across to pack it into sacks. The horses are all quite delighted with this ‘sunset snack’. The dentist dropped by to check everyone’s teeth (horses not humans) and the team welcomed a new work rider - Justin Dare who has extensive experience in racing yards in both the United Kingdom and Australia. Justin will work with the Ready to Race team until the November sale.
The new 1000m straight track is currently being laid. The length was burned last week then ripped to bring the stones to the surface and the leveling finished last night. Once complete the track will be fully irrigated and will add a further conditioning option to the existing facilities: 2400m grass track and the 1400m dirt track.
Tarryn also reports that 5 horses graduated from her pre-training programme and went into work this week - Wave Dancer went to Denis Dryer, 3 to Denis Bosch at Clairwood, and one of the Summerhill bred and raised fillies - Imperial Mint - has gone to Sean Tarry’s yard. Sean is, of course, the trainer of sprint sensation NATIONAL COLOUR.
This week we are also introducing our ‘platinum dozen’ - horses that have that “something extra” and have already taken our eye. We don’t push horses at the expense of others as a result of client loyalty (or for whatever other reason). We have confidence in all 96 horses of the Summerhill draft that will breeze on October 24 and be sold in early November. There are always class standouts however and it for this reason that we have chosen to follow these particular horses’ preparations as they head into the sale.
- NATIONAL EMBLEM ex ROSE NORTH - attractive, strongly made colt out of a Northern Guest mare and by a proven sire.
- KAHAL ex DERNIERE DANCE - Powerful colt with a huge stride. Out of a Northern Guest mare and by one of the hottest sires in South Africa at the moment.
- ALBARAHIN ex VERITAS - compact strong colt, definitely a sprinter type.
- NATIONAL EMBLEM ex WESTERN FLASH - a classy National Emblem who covers ground. Half brother to the consistent GENE GENIE.
- RAMBO DANCER ex CASPIAN LADY - quality colt with lovely action. Also a half brother to CALYPSO QUEEN.
- MUHTAFAL ex HEAT MACHINE - Out of Heat Machine (Gr 3 winner) by a sire who has thrown 2 Gr 1 winners and an Oaks winner in the past 12 months. This colt is a full brother to UZUMA (Gr 3 placed). A late foal who has come to hand very quickly and been a fast learner.
- ALBARAHIN ex FIDELITY BOND - sister to FANYANA (8 wins and Gr 1 placed). Strong attractive filly with a lovely attitude.
- KAHAL ex BRIDAL PATHS - Out of a black type performing mare by the stallion everyone’s talking about. A big, laid back filly.
- LONDON NEWS ex HILL OF PLENTY - Scopey well made filly, big stride and good bone.
- RAMBO DANCER ex BLUE - Out of a Northern Guest mare whose progeny have all won once they reached the track. Last year’s RTR graduate currently in training with Basil Marcus. This filly is tall and works well. Tarryn believes she will be one of the sale toppers.
- ALBARAHIN ex VERVE CLIQUOT - Strongly made filly with a V8 engine, out of a Northen Guest mare and by the runner-up 2006 Champion Freshman Sire.
- DEEP SLEEP ex DANCING FIRELIGHT - A half sister to the multiple Gr 1 placed FORK LIGHTENING (also a Ready to Run graduate) and the 10-time winner STAR CRACKER. Very good action, lovely racy filly, from first crop of DEEP SLEEP.
For additional photos please click on ‘PHOTOS’ in right hand column and then click on 2006 Ready to Race team.