In its 25 year history Summerhill has been home to a number of ‘firsts’:
- Summerhill is the only world class thoroughbred stud in the world to have a world class and award winning 5-star hotel on its grounds - Hartford House.
- Summerhill is the only stud in the world with a 2400m herringbone drained race track (the only other track of the same type and almost equivalent length is at Shatin in Hong Kong). Since the era of Lord Derby’s Ellis Family, this track has borne the hooves of every major race winner on the South African racing calendar.
- Vuma Feeds - which is associated with Australia’s Mitavite Feeds - is the only known major commercial feeds manufacturer on a stud farm and supplies seven of the nation’s top ten trainers including champion trainers Mike de Kock, Charles Laird and Joey Ramsden, presently the top three on the national log.
- Summerhill pioneered the Ready to Run concept in South Africa 18 years ago and consigns in the order of 100 2yo’s via this route annually. Besides those that go through the ring, Summerhill sells another 25% of its annual 2yo crop off the farm, where clients are able to come and view the horses gallop on the farm’s exceptional race tracks.
- The Summerhill and Hartford Studs (now part of the greater Summerhill estate) have been home to champion sires Northern Guest, Sybil’s Nephew, Mashan, Home Guard, Liloy, National Emblem and Fard.